Friday, July 20, 2007

Cycling Update

Lately, my conditioning has really started to pay off. When I was first cycling this year, my heart rate was through the roof, my breathing was labored, and my legs were almost always fatigued. For instance, my Heart Rate Monitor from my first week of commuting had the majority of my ride time in my maximum heart rate zone. My heart rate average was around 195. AVERAGE!

Since starting to commute to work seriously on May 7, 2007, I have averaged approximately 100 miles per week with a few excursions above and below. I am now finishing week #11 of commuting comprising a little over 1,100 miles. The neat aspect of how the cycling has progressed is that I first focused on cardiovascular condition (getting my heart and breathing rate down). Second, I focused on spinning my pedals at approximately 90 rpm. Third, I have focused on overall speed. Now I am focusing on technique specific speed and climbing drills. There is a point that the bike feels like an extension (or part) of your body, as in, you can will the bike to do things with minimal effort.

I have been pleased with my progression, although not as rapid as last year. I like the more deliberate and structured progression that I have going on right now versus the intensity(overtraining) from last year.

No comments: