Friday, August 03, 2007

Boost of Confidence

Today, while riding to work, I noticed another rider that joined my morning route at Manheim Road. He was clipping at a good pace and looked like a serious rider. This has been the first cyclist that I have encountered on the roads that looked like they were into riding fast. I was travelling at approximately 20mph when I saw him in front of me. I spun my legs faster to try to catch him. At this point he was probably 1/2 mile in front of me. I got my bike up to about 23mph. It took me about 5 to 10 minutes to catch him. I caught him while climbing the 290 overpass. After getting within about 10 feet of the rider, I began to feel the draft. I effortlessly closed the gap after hitting the draft and shot around the left side of the rider. He gave me a nod, and then slipped into my draft. This has been the first time this year I have had a serious motivation to push myself. My heart was bursting at about 190bpm. I saw his shadow hanging with me for about a mile.

Having finally been spurred with an edge of competitiveness, I went into a higher gear. I pushed my bike to 27mph and my heart to 201bpm. I glanced back to find that the other rider did not want to match my pace and he dropped off.

This was an extremely exciting encounter and made for a great confidence boost.

2 comments:

mr_eric said...

you are "all man", scooter.

RMF said...

Here's a well deserved, albeit late, atta-boy!