Friday, September 12, 2008

Hauser Diet, Part II

Caring Medical is the name of Dr. Ross Hauser and Dr. Marion Hauser's practice. At this website you can take a diet typing quiz that likens your responses to a particular animal (Lion, Otter, Bear, Monkey, or Giraffe). Based on the result of those responses, they suggest you adjust your diet accordingly. My weight loss approach has always been the following:
1) Watch what I eat (count calories)
2) Cut fat from my diet
3) Increase exercise.
Something that I have always struggled with are intense cravings for sugary foods and salty/crunchy foods. The diet type that I followed was similar to the Hauser Monkey Diet. However, when I took the quiz, I profiled as a Hauser Otter. I immediately began cutting carbs and incresing protein/fat intake. The remarkable aspect is that I have lost my cravings for sugary foods and the salty/crunchy foods. It was quite simple for me to walk past the Friday doughnuts available in my office for the past two weeks. This had previously been a serious personal battle. Since embracing my inner otter, I have felt much more relaxed, and not nearly as edgy as normal.

Anyhow, I invested in the diet typing protocol at Caring Medical. A lot of bloodwork is performed and the data should corroborate the Hauer Otter profile or another animal. The book "The Hauser Diet" is one of the best nutrition books I have looked at since the "Perspectives in Nutrition" book used in my college nutrition course.

Also, I started at 270lbs, and was hovering at about 258 after approximately 9 weeks of restricted calories and appproximatley 9-10hours/week of excercise. Since beginning the Hauser Otter Diet, I have lost an additional 12 pounds in two weeks, and I am down to 246lbs. Time will tell if this is a sustainable option for me. If it is, then the investment in this service is worth its weight in gold.

No comments: