Wednesday, June 21, 2006

New Job and New Commute

I started a new position doing the same type of work that I was doing before. The big difference is in the office culture. The new office is much more relaxed and there is a focus on work life balance. I was hussled out of the office before 5:00pm on one day. That would be unheard of at my former employer. Anyway, I am really getting into the grove and enjoying the new position.

The best part about the job is that I have really nice commuting route. It is about 12.5 miles each way and I have been able to complete the commute ranging from 36 to 45 minutes. The 45 minute days were both this week. On Monday, because I was reeling from the HHH and today because it was raining and I had wind in my face so I had to be a little more cautious.

The suburban drivers are much more courteous than the Chicago drivers with the exception of Oak Park. Something was in the air yesterday because I had several near misses and one rub against a car taking a right turn. I think it was because I left work at about 5:15pm, putting me in Oak Park at about 6:00pm. Chicagoland traffic is horrible and it is clear by driver behavior that their patience has eroded by 6:00pm. I guess it provides an incentive for me to get to work earlier so that I can leaver earlier and not end up underneath a car.

Since I have started using my new cycling computer in May, I have logged over 1,000 miles. I would have to guess that I am at about 2,500 miles for the year.

No comments: