Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Some Thoughts Looking Forward...

I plan on doing a long distance ride every year, and I haven't conceived of the next one yet. I will let you know some thoughts after I finish the MN-IL trip. I am always looking for company on long distance ride. There is too much potential for something to go wrong...

My goal for my 4th of July trip is Day 1 (160 miles), Day 2 (160 miles), Day 3 (180 miles). I figure day 1 and 2 will be hilly, and I should be able to average a minimum of 15-16 mph with 10 hours of saddle time. This schedule is extremely aggressive, and much more aggressive than I would hope to do in the future (I like 100 miles/day). Because I am going solo, there will be just myself and my thoughts for three days. Nothing is more trying on you psyche than the relentless howl of a head wind in your ears and the effort it takes to push through a headwind. I am hoping for a tail wind and cool, clear weather. (keep your fingers crossed, keep me in your prayers, or do a crazy dance...whatever it takes, I need all the help imaginable)

For the next trip, I am thinking of maybe a Great Lakes focused trip. Starting from Duluth, MN going east along the south shore of Lake Superior and continuing south along the west shore of Lake Michigan to Chicago. I am open to any number of ideas, and my ability to do another trip will be based on my ability to get time off of work. I like the idea of piggy-backing over a holiday weekend to minimize time off of work. Just some thoughts...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the luck, as you have worked very hard to get to this point. Maybe next year your ride might include some stops for camping, as that would be fun for others to consider joining you, like myself.

Gerard

Psyclist said...

Strangely enough, this trip involves camping...although it will be just enough to get the requisite 8 hours of sleep. I agree, a trip might be more enjoyable to stop and hike or take a relaxing dip in a lake.

Let's get together after my trip and talk up some ideas. It would be a blast to get Kat on the back of the Tandem and Cosmo in a trailer!