Friday, May 18, 2007

National Bike to Work Week

This week was National Bike to Work Week and yesterday was National Bike to Work Day. I have gotten back into the mode of commuting to work. Right now, I am focusing on trying to reestablish a base level of fitness. I pedaled 100 miles last week after I ride home today this afternoon, I will have accomplished the same this week.

With the gasoline price extremes we are seeing currently, and the National Biking initiative, I was surprised to see at most two other cyclists in the 25 miles a day I ride. I should note that there is one rider that I see everyday included in my count of two.

As is common among cyclists, a rider will typically pass vehicles that are stopped at lights or stop signs along the space between the vehicle and curb. Yesterday, on National Bike to Work Day, a driver veered very close to the curb, cutting off the route to pass. While he was stopped I passed around the other side of his vehicle to avoid a right hook. I assumed that this driver was going to make an imminent right hand turn and was close to the curb for that reason. When I made the pass, his extended middle finger suggested that he closed that gap to prevent me from passing him.

Perhaps, when I am given the opportunity again, I will use the extended finger to grab onto, to help me stop my bike and have a conversation regarding driver/cycling safety. I do not want to be negative in pointing out this event. But, as my wife mentioned, you can carry your bike over your shoulder, and you can't do that with a car. When a car and bike collide, there is a clear loser - the cyclist.

No comments: