Friday, May 18, 2007

National Bike to Work Week...Part II

I think that National Bike to Work Week is similar to Earth Day. A symbolic acknowledgement of what people "should" do. Putting a date on a calendar and declaring it significant does not really change peoples behavior.

Because I drive a hybrid, I did not realize too much savings over the week. Given the hybrid usually get 36-37mpg, that is equivalent to:
[100 miles per week / (36.5 miles/gallon)] x $3.49/gallon = $9.56 per week .

Compare the hybrid to my 1991 Chev 1/2 ton pickup, that is equivalent to:
[100 miles per week / (16 miles/gallon)] x $3.49/gallon = $21.81 per week .

Extrapolate that to an average month:
(52 weeks / 12 months) x Dollars Saved = Total Monthly Savings
Camry Hybrid = (52 weeks / 12 months) x $9.56 per week = $41.36 Saved / month
Silverado P/U = (52 weeks / 12 months) x $21.81 per week = $94.52 Saved / month

I often wonder why, in the face of high gas prices, people do not change their habits. This can be done simply by riding a bike (isn't there an obesity problem in this country?), buying a hybrid or more fuel efficient car, and/or taking public transportation. Granted, public transporation numbers are up as are hybrid sales, and I applaud those that are doing their part. The part that disappoints me is when people complain, yet do nothing. Specifically, complaining that oil company execs are making too much money. Do your part to make sure that the bike shop owners and hybrid car manufacturing execs "make too much money". In short, do not complain of the cost of fuel if you are unwilling to reduce your personal consumption of fuel. Maybe I am oversimplifying the issue...

As an additional fuel saving measure, I just mounted a Yakima SkyBox to the roof of my car to get the storage benefit of a minivan/crossover without paying the mileage penalty. Now I will be able to use my pickup less and less. Anyone can add a rooftop carrier to a fuel efficient car to obtain additional storage vs. buying a large vehicle.

No comments: