Monday, November 21, 2005

Completion of Studies...

...for now.

I finished the last of my examinations for my Masters on wednesday of last week. Reaching this milestone has been somewhat depressing for me. For one, I really enjoyed the curriculum for my last few classes which were some of the best to date. Secondly, I achieved a long-term goal that is now replaced with a void.

I will be eligible to take my Professional Engineering and Professional Geology exams Fall 2006. At least for now I have a new goal to look forward to.

Reflecting back upon my undergraduate and graduate studies, I began to think of the value of education. The education that one receives is only as good as the implementation of the education by the student.

The receipt of a degree or certificate does not provide carte blanche access to additional tiers of responsibility. More often than not, the education becomes a screening tool, whereby an employer knows that the graduate has completed a certain commitment, yet the graduate's proficiency of applying the knowledge remains a test. It is therefore incumbent upon the student to have sufficient knowledge to teach and employ what has been gained through study. Therefore, the value of the education can only be determined by the recipient of the education. What makes this difficult to employ is that by nature, organizations and people have sufficent resistance to change. That is why one must teach to employ knowledge that is not currently practiced within an organization.

2 comments:

John said...

Congratulations, Scott. That is great to hear. I am surprised with your lack of joy in completing your masters.

I wish you greater success in implementing your knowledge!

Psyclist said...

Thanks John!

I am pleased that I have finished. The problem is that I want to take more classes, and that is the disappointing part.

I really enjoy the academic environment, and I want to remain a part of it. I have been asked by a professor to be part of an alumni advisement group to improve the program. Being part of this group is one way that I can remain involved within academia.

After I complete my PE and PG exams, I may continue studies for an MBA.

I hope that I can practive what I preach!