Thursday, April 27, 2006

Validation at Visionquest

Last night I went to an indoor training session hosted by Robbie Ventura, a former USPS rider from 2001-2004. The training session involved about 15 riders connecting their bikes to Computrainers. The Computrainer is calibrated to similate real riding conditions and a visual display indicates the terrain to be covered and a provides a summary of power output, speed, and heart rate. Before the ride, we were told that the fastest ride time EVER was 33min 30sec with an average of 330 watts. The person that put out those numbers is a professional racer who rode in the Tour de France with USPS.

Drum roll please...

I finished first in the group of 15 with a ride time of 37min 45sec and an average of 308 watts. I was about 10% slower than the fastest rider EVER. Robbie indicated that I definately have the power and skill set to ride competitively. He said that I need to work on my "X-factor", which is developing racing skills. To begin with developing my "X-factor", he invited my to ride on one of their upcoming outdoor training rides.

I am really bragging here, but I think that I earned it. I started 4 months ago at about 270lbs and have stuck to a rigorous training regimen during that time. I have transformed my slovenly body to a race ready machine.

I will be meeting with xXx Racing on Monday May 1, 2006. This will be the kickoff-day for my racing goals.

2 comments:

John said...

Hey, congrats! That's awesome. Nothing like more motivation for your health and fitness goals.

Psyclist said...

Thanks John! I am totally pumped. I have another group ride this weekend.

There is nothing like real progress as motivation!