Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Commuting and Brisk Air

I took the new CDale cyclocross disc on its maiden voyage today, and how sweet it is. The frame is 54cm vs. 56cm of a typcial road bike which makes handling really nice. The disc brakes are a huge improvement over dual-pivot calipers for commuting. I only had two emergency braking moments today that would have been controlled swerves without discs to avoid objects (e.g. cars). The cyclocross also has shorter cranks which can make accelerating from a stop quicker. The only drawback to cyclocross is the somewhat knobby tires that are 700x32 vs. 700x23 of a typical road bike.

I held onto mad speed coming into work. I averaged approximately 23mph (with stops) over the first five miles and much less over the remining three miles due to stop lights. Spinning has really been great for getting in shape. The reserve power in my legs is great for pushing hills and sprints. I am so excited to continue with my weight loss and get even faster and stronger as the year progresses.

Current weight is 233lbs. I anticpate a weight of under 230 and the end of next week...let us see how that goes

No comments: