Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Ft. Myers, FL

I spent the last week in Ft. Myers Florida with my wife, mother-, father-, and brother in-law. My brother in-law plays baseball for Southwest Minnesota State University and during that week he plays about 2 games per day. Kat and I watched two games and did a lot of activities on our own.

Vacation put a damper on my weight loss. I ate and drank far too much, although Kat and I stayed active. We rented a waverunner on one day, went kayaking on another, and rented bikes on another day. We went to the beach almost every day and I swam in the ocean each time for about 15-30 minutes. The cold-to-the-bone feeling from the midwest winter diappeared, and I hope that it warms up in Chicago before that horrible feeling returns.

I rode to work yesterday and the feeling was great! I had a lot of reserve power for sprints when I needed it, and I held a pretty good speed. The air temp was about 30 degrees F, so my breathing was a little labored, but the road feel was great. Riding indoors is pure mental anguish compare to outdoor riding.

I hope to take time over Easter weeekend to pound out at least 60 miles. My philosophy is that the first ride of the year should be punishing because it sets the pace for the year. The pain that you endure the first day in 60 miles is typically the most pain all year because of increased strength, speed, and endurance.

No comments: