Friday, January 27, 2006

The Ongoing Battle

When I first started my blog it was to track my weight loss. Through some misfiring and lack of commitment, I fell off the wagon so to speak. I have recently developed a simple and achievable routine that requires consistency and motivation. Previsouly, my workout routine included cycling to and from work. Although great exercise, I was unable (unwilling?) to continue through the holiday season and the winter.

My current workout routine is as follows:

Sunday: Weight Lifting (30 min) , Swimming (30 min) , Cycling Indoors (45 min)
Monday: Off - No Exercise
Tuesday: Spin Class (1 hour) , Cycling Indoors (45 min)
Wednesday: Weight Lifting (30 min) , Cycling Indoors (1.5 hrs) or (2-45 min sessions)
Thursday: Spin Class (1 hour) , Cycling Indoors (45 min)
Friday: Weight Lifting (30 min) , Cycling Indoors (1.5 hrs) or (2-45 min sessions)
Saturday: Spin Class (1 hour) , Cycling Indoors (45 min)

When the weather improves, I will be able to transition easily from indoor cycling to commuting while maintaining the remaining workout schedule. I have maintained the above schedule for about 6 weeks and it is becoming a habit.
One of the most valuable tools that I have been using is the FitDay website. It is crazy to see the amount of calories in food and their origin. The most remarkable food was pork ribs. Pork ribs have nearly equaly grams of fat and grams of protein. The other component is that Fat has 9 cal/gram and Protein has 4 cal/gram. This means for every 300 calories from ribs, more than 200 are from fat.

Being an informed eater really allows you to make more conscience choices in your diet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Scotty. Your determination and self discipline will get you through this as it did with your education and your previous bike trip to Florida. Good luck. Mom & Dad Say Hi to Kat and "Bosco" (Cosmo)

Psyclist said...

Thanks Mom and Dad!

I have dropped 17lbs since I saw you at Christmas. I think that I have finally "Stoked my body's furnace". The pounds are really starting to peel off and it will certainly make my MPLS to Chicago trip this summer easier.

Screw this whole "getting fat in winter routine" that I have fallen into the past few years.

Kat has been a huge help in reaching my goals. We are eating much healthier and she is preparing smaller portions with low fat.

Next time I refer to "living large" I hope it is due to the size of bank account and not the size of my waist.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Scott! I admire your commitment & drive. Keep it up. Jen & I have recently joined the gym (about a week ago). I’ve been trying to form the habit of getting a workout in before work, it’s been going good so far but it will take at least 4-5 weeks to solidify the habit. Your blog helps my motivation, (the little Rube Doodler helps too). Later… Brent.