Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Dedication

The number one key to an effective weight loss strategy is to set goals and stick to them regardless of other things that may come up. If there is an interruption that you can't avoid, then you make up your original goal. Without this dedicated mentality, it becomes easy to fall out the routine.

Tonight, I begin the last quarter to complete my masters degree. My class will be from 6-9pm. I have decided that I will use my bike to travel to and from work, and having evening class will not interupt my routine. My ride through the west-side of Chicago is one that many people consider an unecessary risk of my life; however, I need to maintain a workout regimen in the face of a busy work/school schedule.

I have heard some people say in the past (and within the last week) that cycling is not an effective form of exercise to lose weight. I guess this blog will be a measure of that claim. I find it funny that it is those that do not cycle have this perspective.

To these nay sayers:

Have you ever watched the Tour de France? (These guys are very lean)
Have you ever seen "spin classes" at a gym? (This is cycling)
For those that are overweight, there is no better aerobic exercise than cycling and/or swimming that will not wreck your joints. (Imagine running if you are over 300lbs...I have, and it is extraordinarily painful)

This morning:
To Work:
Cannondale Road Bike
Total Distance: 8 miles
Time: 26min 6sec
Gallons of gas saved: 0.25 gallons

Last Night:
To Home:
Cannondale Road Bike
Total Distance: 8 miles
Time: 26min 0sec
Gallons of gas saved: 0.25 gallons

No comments: