Friday, September 30, 2005

Energy...

The chart presented in this link is indicative of the need for a new domestic energy dyanmic. I ride my bike to and from work for the health benefit and the opportunity to save money. One of my vehicles is a 1989 Chevy pickup. This old POS does not get the best mileage; however, I use it primarily for its utilitarian value.

Looking back at 1989, gas prices were around $1/gal. At best, gas prices are now near $3/gal. If someone did not change their driving habits, their gas expenses would increase three times. This is a hard pill to swallow given that wages have not risen at a commensurate pace with gasoline.

Oh goodness! What to do! You hear people kicking and screaming about how they can't afford this or that and that credit card delinquencies are on the rise due to rising fuel costs. My take? Shut up you big baby and do something about it. Ride a bike to get around for trips less than ten miles. Buy a used compact car or just get a car with better mileage.

What my grand visions includes is this:
Solar panels on every roof connected to a plug-in hybrid/electric vehicle. (This will likely take time, but I know that I will be making my investments this concept in mind)
Investment Focus
*Altenative Energy (Solar focus - The sun shines everywhere, the wind does not blow *everywhere)
*Chemical Storage (Batteries - New NiMH and nano applications)
*Electric Automobiles (Toyota - already a reputation for reliability and the first to the market with hybrid vehichles)

Hydorgen economy? Maybe in my great-grandchildren's lifetime.

Kudos to all that bought SUVs with GMs employee discount in face of rising gas prices! It reminds me of the consumer reports that indicated that the Number 1 and 2 complaints of Hummer H2 owners was the poor mileage and the wind noise. I can wait to see someone compain that their new suburban costs too much to drive.

Remember: Ghawar is dying; Cramer from Mad Money indicated that Saudis are buying new oil field production equipment at an increased rate because their existing wells are no longer producing! (Buy NBR and THE)

Some may say we have plenty of oil in oil sands and oil shales. You'd be better served to believe in the effectiveness of cold fusion over the hype on oil sands and oil shales. We will be producing these when gasoline costs $10/gallon or more. Return of Energy for these is approimately 1.5:1 vs. 20:1 in the stressed mideast oil fields.

I need to stop now, I am breaking out in a sweat.

No comments: