Saturday, September 03, 2005

Major bummer!

Today I embarked on a 30mile ride. I went west on the Illinois Prairie Path which is a very nice trail. It has the typical problems of a Rail-to-Trail route. You have to double-back because there are no good "loops".

The riding conditions are not very good (too many stops) until about 8 miles west of the eastern trail head. As it was Saturday morning, the trail was very busy, but I was able to knock out the first 15 miles with no problem. I began my return trip with a serious head of steam. I was going about 25 mph for a mile and a half when my rear tire blew because I picked up a piece of glass on the trail. A flat is one thing, but not being prepared is quite another. It is the typical case: I have a frame-pump, tubes, and tire levers to service a flat. However, I had only the pump with me!

My wife was kind enough to pick me up. Two things are key while out on a long distance ride:
1) Always have somebody that you can count on
2) No matter what do not forget your cell phone.

Unfortunately, she had to use the car which consumed about 1.3 gallons of gas. Extra Suck!

Time to repair the flat and plan for tomorrow.

Morning Weight: 253.5

No comments: