Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Weight Fluctuations

I would like to thank my high-school friend John for listing his weight loss tips. In high-school John and I were both overweight (me more so than John). I am thrilled that John lost about 40 lbs. and has posted his weight loss strategy.

I have decided that I am not going to weigh myself in the morning and evening. I think that the day to day fluctuations can be discouraging, and are not representative of actual progress. I am going to post my weight on Friday evening.

When you are as overweight as I am, your weight can fluctuate over 5 lbs. As a percentage of body weight, it is really insignificant (2%). As a note, when I began my first diet, I was focused on NOT weighing myself for the first 2 months of my diet. When I hopped on the scale after that time, I had lost over 40 lbs. That was by far the most encouraging piece of progress of the diet.

Now, I know that I can lose the weight. And, I am going to weigh myself weekly to keep my focus.

To Work:
Cannondale Road Bike
Total Distance: 8 miles
Time: 26min 30sec
Gallons of gas saved: 0.25 gallons

2 comments:

John said...

Scott,

You are right about weight fluctuations. They are difficult to stomach sometimes, but they helped me immensely.

The key is to weigh yourself under the same conditions and same time of day. Unless you do that, you will see weight fluctuations even throughout the day.

I found that weighing myself every day kept me accountable on a daily basis. I needed that motivation each day.

Psyclist said...

I have weighed myself daily in the past and I had found, like you, that body weight is highly variable throughout the day. I have been using a Tanita body fat monitoring scale that I picked up about five years ago. What is more crazy it the body fat % change in a day.

Previously, I would weigh myself in the morning, right after I got up, and then after I had a glass of water after my ride home from work. At one time, I recorded and plotted these changes in MSExcel and found that a decending saw-tooth pattern emerged, with sharp teeth on Mondays due to less activity over the weekend. (I wish I knew how to insert a picture to show you).

Part of what is irking me is that I have been cycling to and from work since mid-june and my weight has increase by about 10 lbs. I do not believe that I have increased my dietary intake of calories, but I much more conscience of my intake now. I am also focusing on passing "indulgences" such as the miniature candy bars we have in the office.